Friday 18 June 2010

Maison Martin Margiela Exhibition - 20 - At Somerset House

Just a warning this is a picture heavy post! Yesterday I went to see the Maison Martin Margiela exhibition at Somerset House, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is one of the best fashion exhibitions I've ever seen of late, its so well done, I really urge you to go if you have a chance. Martin Margiela is an odd one to figure out, he retreated from public life ages ago so no one really knows who he is. And whenever there are interviews or press releases or anything like that done, he will always refer to the house as 'we' - its never 'I'. I find it really intruiging and refreshing to see this - in the culture we live in where celebrity and fashion walk hand in hand most of the time, its nice to see such a clear and passionate focus on the garments that are created. And let me say that the clothing is literally ground breaking. Playing with silhouette and the construction and deconstruction of garments, a lot of the items are less wearable and more art, but many of them are just things that you have never seen before - until Martin Margiela did it. I am no expert by any means in fashion, I just like to take an interest in it, cos well, who doesn't like clothes!? And these are definitely ones you have to see. I purchased the exhibition book and here are some photos from it so you can get an idea about the house. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take photos so we will have to make do with these. The trees outside Somerset House were all wrapped in white in honour of the exhibition! Have you been?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment